Blog Archive

Monday, October 14, 2013

Granny and Grandpa



Both of my sweet Grandparents went to be with Jesus in the last few months. In June, Granny began declining quickly and went to be with Jesus. It was only a few months later that Grandpa joined her. I was so thankful that I got to be able to go back to Granny's funeral. I was always very close to granny and grandpa. We grew up close to them and were always having overnights at their house, swimming at their house all summer, going to movies & shopping with them, going out for ice cream with them. My Granny had quite the feisty personality. She was never scared to say what she really felt, to a fault sometimes. ;) She would do anything for her kids and grandkids. Especially her favorites. ;) lol! Grandpa was the biggest Cubs fun who could fall asleep in any loud, obnoxious setting. He was so go with the flow and laid back. He always was so kind and did whatever Granny asked of him. Even if he knew her demands were a little much he giggled as he complied. ;) He LOVED telling us grandkids his stories from WW2 and his days as a pilot, and we loved listening. 

The hardest part of Granny's passing was seeing Grandpa's broken heart. Sure, it was sad to see Granny go, but we could cling to the peace of knowing she's in a far better place next to Jesus!! Grandpa wasn't talking anymore at the time, but when he'd see family he'd just bawl and bawl. It was the hardest thing to watch. When we got to the funeral home for Granny's service, we had to take Grandpa in to see her in her casket before the visitation began. I won't ever forget seeing him reach into her casket to hold her cold hand, as he sobbed and sobbed. It's making me cry re-living it right now. 60 years of marriage, life, and love together...I can't even imagine that ending when losing your spouse. It was heartbreaking. I prayed for his sake, it wouldn't be long before he could see her again in heaven...because deep down we all knew that's what he really wanted. He got to be with her only a few months later. A blessing from Jesus. We miss them, here, however. I am so thankful for them and the irreplaceable role they had in my life. I am so lucky to have had them both for such a huge part of my life, and I feel blessed to have had them for as long as I did. They even got to meet and spend time with Mason and Cash and we love that, and are so so thankful for that. We miss you, Granny and Grandpa. Our lives are forever better because of the both of you. We love you!!


No comments: